Monaco Grand Prix to reduce to three-day format

Written by By Staff Writer With the Monaco Grand Prix on the brink of disappearing into the history books, Formula One has announced that the long-running race will be reduced to a three-day format…

Monaco Grand Prix to reduce to three-day format

Written by By Staff Writer

With the Monaco Grand Prix on the brink of disappearing into the history books, Formula One has announced that the long-running race will be reduced to a three-day format from 2022.

Monaco’s Formula One GP event has been the only Grand Prix venue that moved one day from its traditional Friday to Saturday format, having swapped the venue for a “Saturday Saturday” which now sees the last-ever race on the calendar concluded.

Last year’s race was won by F1 champion Lewis Hamilton, with 21-year-old Sebastian Vettel claiming the runner-up spot.

MORE: Monaco GPs through the years

In a statement, Formula One said that the event would now be held in either July, November or December with final dates to be announced later.

“F1 is committed to maximising the value of our sport for our stakeholders, and building upon the success and recognition the Monza race has received since it moved to the winter months,” said Bernie Ecclestone, chairman of Formula One Management, in a statement.

“Keeping the race on a weekend holiday for an extended period of time ensures that it will remain unique, whilst giving those individuals who support the season-ending race the opportunity to commemorate it while they remain in Europe.

“It also offers fans attending races in Europe and across the world, who wish to be in Monaco to witness one of the best racing events on the calendar, the opportunity to be close to the action and witness Formula One at its very best.”

The announcement, made by race organizers on Thursday, comes just days before the long-awaited decision on whether the event will be axed.

A new race calendar has yet to be released and the Monaco GP will not be made part of it.

Three weeks ago, The Guardian reported that Ecclestone, 85, was against keeping the race on the calendar — arguing that it was not a race of importance to sponsors or fans.

Ecclestone also claimed the racing made it impossible to attract international companies to sponsor the race.

The decision to cut the race to a three-day format came as a surprise.

Leave a Comment